All You Need To Know About Gas Geysers
Are you looking to purchase a water heater for you and your family? With the umpteen number of options available in the market, it might be cumbersome to choose the ideal appliance for your home in the winter.
You might come across 2 valuable options – gas geysers and electric geysers. Both have their advantages and can suit different house types and family sizes. So what is the difference between gas geysers and electric geysers? Let’s find out.
What is a Gas Geyser?
Made of liquid petroleum gas (LPG), a gas geyser is considered one of the most ideal winter heating appliances in an Indian home. It takes up just a few minutes to heat up and provide hot bathing water.
Since they have no limited heating power, the heating output is instant and consistent throughout your shower time.
How does a Gas Geyser work?
Wondering how a gas geyser works? Have a look at the below-mentioned steps to use a gas geyser in your home as well.
1. Switch on your gas geyser.
2. Wait for 1-2 minutes and open your tap to let the hot water gush down.
3. Hot water will be flowing at a considerable rate till you switch off the gas geyser.
Upon switching on a gas water geyser, the flowing water triggers a sensor that delivers hot water to your tub. There is a gas burner distributing the water evenly till the time you turn the gas geyser off.
Today, you might find two types of gas water geysers –
1. Condensing gas geysers:
The condensing gas geyser works by having a secondary exchange heater in the appliance. When you switch the appliance on, the exhaust gases in the burner pre-heat the water whether you turn the tap on or off. This makes them an excellent and energy-efficient purchase for modern homes.
2. ECU gas geysers:
ECU (Electronic Control Unit) gas geysers provide you with a flexible hold over your appliance. They are equipped with temperature control, ignition control and gas flow to set the water temperature as per your liking.
5 Benefits of a Gas Water Heater
A gas water heater is perhaps the best buy for today’s modern families. This is due to the following advantages,
1. A gas water heater is pumped with natural gas which makes it a cost-effective and energy-efficient option, especially if you live in one of the big metro cities of India. It doesn’t depend on electricity making long showers a blessing for you.
2. In the occasion of having no power supply, your gas water heater will not be affected.
3. If you’re opting for a tankless gas heater, you can be assured of saving ample space in your bathrooms to use the appliance.
4. Gas heaters also provide a continuous supply of water.
5. If you’re purchasing a condensing gas water heater, you have the option of controlling the temperature, ignition and flow of water based on your requirement.
Do you need a Gas Geyser?
If you live in a big Indian household, a gas geyser is an ideal investment for you and your family. Since it doesn’t require a tank, no electricity and provides a steady flow of hot water, it can save your family ample time in taking showers, especially in the winter months.
The efficiency of a Gas Geyser
The most prominent difference between a gas geyser and an electric geyser is its efficiency. More than 50% of a gas water heater’s output goes unused due to the limited amount of natural gas required to heat water. This stands true for the modern varieties of this heater available in the market today.
Look for UEF ratings between 0.65 to 0.95 to make the best gas water heater purchase.
Gas Geyser vs Electric Geyser: What’s the Difference?
Gas geyser vs electric geysers – which one is ideal for your household? Check out the differences mentioned below to make a conscious decision.
1. Cost of Appliance
If you’re wondering what is the difference between a gas geyser and an electric geyser, the first thing to look at is the cost of the appliance. Gas water geysers are economical and range between Rs. 3700 to Rs. 4500 at max. On the other hand, electric geysers are expensive and usually cost above Rs. 5000.
2. Heating Cost
There is a separate heating cost for gas and electric geysers. Non-subsidy gas geysers cost around 80 paise for heating 1 litre of water. If you have an Aadhar subsidy, the cost will go down to 40 paise a litre. In contrast, electric geysers can cost you around 80 paise for heating 1 litre of water.
Natural gas might not always be a safe option for the entire family to use. Gas geysers should hence not be operated by children. On the other hand, electric geysers are very safe.
4. Duration of Heating
Gas geysers provide instant hot water due to a burner in the geyser appliance. On the other hand, electric geysers take longer to heat the water.
If you opt for a tankless gas water geyser, you don’t need to worry about space issues for your appliance. Otherwise, gas geysers also take up space for the LPG installation and need proper ventilation to operate.
On the contrary, electric geysers just need to be mounted on the bathroom wall and require less space.
Gas geysers might get damaged quicker than electric geysers since they don’t have a safety covering to protect their exterior. In comparison, eclectic geysers can last for a good 5-7 years.
Electric geysers get fitted easily. In comparison, gas geysers have to be connected to the LPG in a ventilated space in your bathroom to function properly. Hence, the installation process is tougher for gas water geysers.
As their name suggests, gas geysers require natural gas whereas electric geysers operate on an electricity connection.
Since they are dependent on natural gas, gas water geysers might release carbon monoxide which should be driven out of the house with proper ventilation. Electric geysers, in comparison, do not cause any pollution.
You can avail 1-2 years of warranty on gas geysers. For electric geysers, today’s most trusted brands provide at least 2-3 years of warranty on the appliance.
Is a Gas Geyser Safe to Use?
Unlike traditional gas water geysers, today’s appliances are much safer to use. If you’re looking for the ideal water heater for your home, you can purchase the Crompton Gas Geyser that has 5 layers of safety.
1. The double solenoid valve distributes hot water evenly without the occurrence of a leak or burst.
2. The appliance has flame-out protection to prevent mishaps in the bathroom.
3. Overheat protection ensures that the appliance doesn’t burst despite being switched on for a long duration of time.
4. It has a child lock safety making it easy for children in the household to use the gas geyser.
5. It has a gas cut-off timer which stops the water flow after using it for 20 minutes.
This gas geyser by Crompton also has 85% heating efficiency making it the perfect heating appliance for your home. It is priced at Rs. 8,800 making it a good investment for the years to come.
3 Safety Tips to Consider while using a Gas Geyser
Getting a gas geyser for your home? Here are a few gas geyser safety tips to keep in mind during the installation process, and while using the appliance for regular showers.
1. Make sure that your bathroom is properly ventilated to avoid mishaps due to carbon monoxide release.
2. Don’t keep any corrosives or explosives near your gas geyser. It should also steer clear of electrical equipment for additional safety.
3. Install a gas geyser at an elevation that allows you to see the pilot flame in the appliance. It can help save a major accident if things go south.
Why should you Choose Crompton’s Gas Geyser?
A Crompton Gas Geyser comes loaded with a host of safety features giving you an edge over conventional gas geysers in the market. You can be assured of safety and a long-term investment for your household that gives you hot water all year round.
Make the switch to a gas water geyser if you have a large family, to help everyone avail fresh, hot water as per their needs. In case you live alone, you can also look at getting an immersion rod or check out some other water heating appliances that might come in handy. Learn more about immersion rods on out blog.