FAQs on LED Lights – Expert answers for LED Light questions
Do you have any questions about LED Lights and bulbs? Like how LED lights work, how to install them or how LED Lights save money. Well we’ve got you covered.
LED lights are the most energy-efficient lighting option available on the market today, and they can both brighten your home and help you save money on your utility bills. In our daily lives, our relationship with our lights is simply a flip of the switch, but when they suddenly stop working or you can’t figure out how to install them, a slew of new questions arise that you wouldn’t have considered before.
In this blog, we will answer the top 23 frequently asked questions about LED lighting that may have popped into your head at some point.
What is LED light?
LED stands for Light Emitting Diode. LED Lighting a highly energy-efficient lighting system when compared to its counterparts such as incandescent or fluorescent lighting. Its high efficiency, cost-effectiveness, and directional nature make it ideal for both domestic and industrial use.
What is a light emitting diode LED?
LED stands for Light Emitting Diode. It is a semiconductor light source that emits visible light when an electric current passes through it. This process is called electroluminescence. Light is produced when the electrons that carry the current, combine together within the semiconductor material.
How do LED lights work?
An LED bulb produces light when a current is passed through a semi-conducting material or the diode. Light is produced when the electrons that carry the current flow through the semiconductor material. The color of the light depends on the energy required for the electrons to jump the energy gap of the semiconductor.
How do LED lights emit light?
LED is an optical semiconductor device that emits light when current flows through it. The process of emitting light in response to a flow of electric current or a strong electric field is known as electroluminescence. LED emits either invisible infrared rays or visible light.
How to use LED strip lights?
LED strip lights can be used in a number of ways to decorate and illuminate dimly lit environments. They can be used under the kitchen cabinet or study cabinet as task lighting or behind the TV screen in the living room, behind the monitor in the gaming room, or behind the headboard of the bed as mood lighting.
How long do LED lights last?
The cost-efficient and energy-efficient LED lights last longer than other conventional lights such as incandescent or CFL lights. They have a very long and impressive lifespan of 50,000 to 100,000 hours. LED lights do not completely burn out but the light they emit becomes less bright after a defined time span.
Is LED light harmful?
Yes, overexposure to the short-wave, high-energy blue and violet light emitted by LED can cause harmful and irreparable damage to the human eye. It increases the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration. The human eye has sensitive light cells that can get damaged if there is high exposure even for a short period of time.
Are all LED strip lights dimmable?
Yes, all LED strip lights are dimmable provided they are paired with the right equipment. The brightness can be adjusted by providing a compatible DC signal. There are two methods of dimming LED strips, a DC low-voltage dimmer or a traditional phase-cut wall dimmer. However, if you purchase A-style, they do not fall in the dimmable category.
Do LED lights really save money?
Yes, you have lower energy costs since LED lights are more energy efficient than other conventional lighting products. Residential LED lighting uses up to 75% less energy than CFL or incandescent lights. Moreover LED lights are long-lasting due to proper heat management, hence lower costs incurred in replacing the bulbs regularly.
Which LED tube light is best for your home?
If you are looking for the best LED tube lights to use for your home, then Crompton’s LED tube lights are a smart choice. Crompton LED T8 tube comes with a very high efficiency thereby upgrading a regular tube into a high-lumen tube light delivering superior lumen even in lower wattage.
Do LED lights increase electricity bills?
Installing LED lights decrease electricity bills both in the short and long term. This is because LED lights are energy-saving lights (up to 75%) compared to other conventional lighting products such as incandescent lights. Lower the energy usage, lower the electricity bill. LED lights are long-lasting so there are lower costs incurred in replacing bulbs regularly.
Which LED bulb is best for your home?
When it comes to choosing the best LED bulbs for your home, Crompton LED bulbs are a smart choice. Crompton’s range of energy bulbs provides high energy-efficient, cost-effective, and anti-bacterial lighting solutions. They are an eco-friendly option since they have zero mercury making them safe for the environment and your family.
How to fix LED lights without a false ceiling?
1. Wall lights: LED wall lights draw attention to the walls and can be used to accentuate certain wall art
2. Table lamp: Table lamps provide focused light where it is needed such as study tables or workstations
3. LED strips: LED strip lights are an excellent decorative lighting option to illuminate poorly lit areas in a creative way
How to repair LED lights?
Follow these steps to repair LED bulbs
1. Remove the top cover and desolder 2 wires of AC mains
2. Check all the LED lights
3. Desolder the faulty LED carefully
4. Solder a new LED carefully
5. Replace the capacitor
6. Test the LED and if it works fine then reattach the top cover and use it as usual
How to change the LED tube light?
Follow these steps to change the LED tube light:
1. Disconnect the lighting fixture and remove the old LED tube light
2. Check and remove the ballast
3. Connect the new LED tube light to the fixture
4. Reconnect the fixture to the power supply
5. Dispose of or recycle the old tube lights safely
How to stick LED strip lights on the wall?
1. Measure the length of the area you want to install the LED strip lights
2. Cut your LED strip to the desired length
3. Prepare the wall surface
4. Pull off the plastic covering to uncover the adhesive layer backing
5. Position and stick the LED strip
6. Plug on your lights to your electrical supply
How to repair an LED tube light?
LED tube lights are made up of several components and even if one stops working, the entire tube light starts to give trouble. Hence it is advised to call an electrician to check the faulty tube light for a proper diagnosis and repair.
How to fix LED strip lights?
1. Determine the area of damage
2. Unplug the light strip
3. Follow the copper markings and use a scissor to cut out the damaged part
4. Cut a new section from the leftover roll
5. Attach back-to-back pin connectors to each of the strips
6. Use the correct number of connector pins
7. Test the lights and reapply to the surface
How to install LED strip lights?
1. Choose the right LED strip light as per your needs
2. Cut the strip to your desired length with scissors. If you are unsure how much you will need, we suggest leaving extra room
3. Peel off the adhesive backing and attach it to a clean surface
4. Connect the wires and test before the final installation
How to remove LED tube lights from the holder?
1. Turn off the power supply to the fixture
2. Use a stepladder to reach the light fixture
3. Remove the cap or cover if your fixture has it
4. Rotate the tube light clockwise to loosen it from the socket
5. Pull the bulb away from the fixture side if it doesn’t rotate
6. Slide the bulb out to remove it from the holder
Do LED lights produce heat?
Yes, LED lights produce heat. However, the heat generated is much less compared to older light sources such as incandescent or halogen bulbs. Current LED lights are more energy efficient and 40% of the energy is converted to visible light whereas another 40% is wasted heat.
Do LED bulbs get hot?
Yes, LED bulbs do emit a small amount of heat. In order to create light, some amount of heat generation is inevitable. They produce 1/100th of the heat produced by a 100-watt incandescent bulb. The heat produced by LED lights is so negligible that you do not feel any discomfort.
Is led light harmful to your eyes?
Yes, overexposure to the blue and violet light emitted by LED lighting can damage the eye’s retina and other vision-related problems like cataracts and macular degeneration. People complain of itchiness, redness, pain, and disruption in the sleep cycle and biological rhythms after continuous exposure to LED lights.
These are the 23 most frequently asked LED lighting questions. We hope that this blog has answered some of your questions about LED lighting that you may have had. If you want to learn more about how to use LED lighting and how you can enhance your home decor with it, visit our LED home lighting blog here.