4 Lip-Smacking Sandwich Recipes to Upgrade Your Daily Snacking
Are you under the impression that peanut butter and jam are the only spreads that can fill a sandwich? Well, we’re here to tell you that sandwiches do not always have to be that plain! From delicious sauces to a variety of vegetables draped in cheese, you can make an exotic sandwich out of simple ingredients in your home. Most of these recipes can be made using a sandwich maker to toast the bread and give it that crunch.
Here is a desi solution for all your food o’clock cravings with some Indian sandwich recipes. But before diving into the recipes, have a look at our Sandwich maker buying guide. Now, let’s head straight to the recipes and use your sandwich maker the right way!
1. Aloo-cheese Toast
Most Indian dishes are incomplete without a side of potatoes. Be it in your sabzi, parathas or your sandwiches, potatoes make a good ingredient. Here’s a list of ingredients for your aloo-cheese toast.
- Boil and mash some potatoes in a vessel.
- Transfer your mashed potatoes into a bowl.
- Add a pinch of salt, cumin powder, chilli powder, garam masala, aamchur powder and mixed herbs.
- Mix all ingredients well and add a few coriander leaves.
- Add half a cup of mozzarella cheese (you can also add cheddar cheese, but mozzarella will give you those long strings of stretchy cheese)
- Trim the edges of your sliced bread and lightly butter the slices.
- Add your potato mix between the buttered slices of bread and toast your sandwich in a sandwich maker.
- You’ll have a plate of hot and fresh aloo-cheese sandwiches ready.
2. Tawa Paneer Sandwich
Tired of seeing paneer paired only with gravies? Add some spicy touch to regular sandwich recipes with a twist of paneer. Here’s how:
- Heat your pan with some oil and let it simmer.
- Boil some paneer and toss crumbled pieces in the pan with some cumin powder, garlic and chilli.
- Sauté till golden brown and add a pinch of chilli powder, garam masala and aamchur powder to the mixture.
- Add coriander powder and let it cook for a while.
- Grease the base of the sandwich maker with some butter and spread the paneer mix on your sandwich bread.
- Toast until golden brown and your sandwich is ready.
3. Bombay Street Sandwich
Nothing is better than some spicy street food that is prepared within minutes and served hot immediately. Whether it is the “anna” behind your college who prepares them or the vendor outside the station, the Bombay Street Sandwich is famous for satisfying your palette with a burst of flavours.
- Prepare the sandwich masala by toasting and grinding 2 tbsp cumin, 2 tbsp fennel, 2 tsp pepper, cinnamon and cardamom together. Once it becomes a fine powder, keep it aside.
- Take three slices of bread and add some butter and green chutney to two of the slices.
- Place a few slices of boiled potatoes and sprinkle some of the sandwich masala atop the green chutney slice.
- For the next layer, add some slices of tomato and cucumber.
- Sprinkle some more sandwich masala and add the second slice of bread with the green chutney.
- Now add a cheese slice, a slice of beetroot, and some chopped onion on top. Generously sprinkle liberal amounts of sandwich masala as well.
- Spread a thick layer of butter on the top slice and cover the sandwich.
- Grill the sandwich in a sandwich maker until it is golden brown and then divide it into 4 pieces.
- Enjoy a grilled Bombay sandwich with tomato sauce to close.
4. Spinach, Corn and Cheese Sandwich
Craving some cheese with some good health? Want that dose of Popeye’s favourite vegetable? This easy-to-make sandwich recipe is the perfect balance between healthy and delicious.
- Boil some corn kernels and spinach separately in two vessels.
- Now, keep them aside and heat the pan on slow flame and add some butter to it.
- Add some flour and slowly whisk the mixture with a spatula. Once properly mixed, add a cup of warm milk to the mixture.
- Blend slowly until all lumps have been removed.
- Add the boiled corn and spinach to the mixture and add salt or pepper only as per your requirements.
- Grate some cheese into the mixture and mix it well until the cheese melts and blends with the mixture.
- Add your healthy and cheesy spread and watch the magic unfold with this spinach, corn and cheese sandwich.
- Spread the spinach and corn mix on two pieces of bread.
- Toast the sandwich in a sandwich maker till it is golden brown and enjoy hot.
Read more about Sandwich makers in our extensive guide.
Now that you have these basic Indian sandwich recipes, you can make them on your own to satiate your hunger pangs. You can also create your own variations by changing an ingredient or two. So, what are you waiting for? Take that bread and add your own spice to it! For more such recipes: Read Your Quick Solution to a Healthy Meal to make yummy sandwiches!